Saturday 28 March 2020

Help With WordPress for Beginners

Working with WordPress initially was a huge challenge for me. With little prior computer knowledge, I often found myself frustrated and wishing there was someone there to help me that spoke plain English. Yep, even “WordPress for Dummies” often stymied me. One of the problems is that younger people who have grown up with computers gave me answers that skipped some of the initial steps and that left me totally lost and frustrated.It reminded me of computer classes I had taken in the classroom setting. It seemed I was always a click or two behind, and my screen looked very different from what the teacher had on the screen and I was totally lost.


Let WordPress beat me & walk away, or buckle down and learn it-my choice.

That sounds harsh, but it was a reality. I decided that I was not ready to succumb to becoming a dinosaur paralyzed by the age of technology. I started taking every online class I could find. I bought online tutorials, and watched them until I finally got it. I read everything I could get my hands on, and experimented with online tools.

I had paid a handsome sum to someone to build my previous website. I imagined that when I got it I would be up and running in a jiffy. I was sure wrong. I was not expecting to get merely a bare bones website. The theme was installed and the colors adjusted to the color scheme I wanted. I was confused, and when I asked about it, I was assured that it would look a lot better when I added content. Let me tell you, that was easier said than done.

The website was done? It was now up to me.

I had invested a large sum of money. I could not afford to just walk away, so I dived in, determined to learn how to use this website in the ways I had envisioned. Slowly but surely, class after class, I built the website, added content, and got a little traction. I added pluggins, videos, screencasts, pictures, and a lot of written blogs. I did a couple of reviews. I worked really hard, but there was a problem.

The amount of traffic I was attracting was not great, that is an understatement. It became evident to me that there was something really wrong. I belong to several online paid accountibility groups that are a tremendous help. I asked for a site review, and got some great feedback. There were some critical mistakes. Fixing them will take a long time. I am working on fixing them, but as I went through the process, I made a discovery about myself. The lightbulb went on one day.

I discovered that, although it was tough, I loved the challenge of learning how to make technology work. I jump out of bed at 4:00 AM, get my coffee, and fire up my Mac. (they are awesome-that is another story). I am totally energized, and solving a problem is so cool. Now my friends and even my kids ask for my advice and my help. Who would’ve thunk?

I decided that I would start another website, and do things right from the beginning. This time is different in a lot of ways.

Help Others Learn WordPress Using My Website as an Example

I am going to take the website from idea to profit. That is the motto of one of my favorite mentors, Lynn Terry.
I have built it entirely myself.
I am going to demonstrate how I am doing the steps for you
I want to show you the steps to get it right-from the beginning. This will be a work in progress, and you have a front row seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment